About the Blog

I shall post videos, graphs, news stories, and other material. We shall use some of this material in class, and you may review the rest at your convenience. I encourage you to use the blog in these ways:

--To post questions or comments about the readings before we discuss them in class;
--To follow up on class discussions with additional comments or questions.
--To post relevant news items or videos.

There are only two major limitations: no coarse language, and no derogatory comments about people at the Claremont Colleges. This blog is on the open Internet, so post nothing that you would not want a potential employer to see.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

income and cost of living for determining if you are "rich" or a HENRY

concrete numbers for  factoring cost of living by city. (from Data Game page 172)
also
HENRY (High Earner, Not Yet Rich)




There was also a flare-up of this rich/250k issue back in 2010 when Todd Henderson made the argument and more recently this guy complained:
“Look, I know my salary of $350,000 is high,” he said. “My whole point is that education and housing in New York are now priced for the wealthy, not the garden variety wealthy. I’m not living high on the hog and going to St. Barts. I mean my summer rental is bare bones, it’s not the Hamptons. ”
though there is the other question of how much of the higher cost should simply be viewed as a good to be consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment